Alliance of Independent Authors badge

Alliance of Independent Authors badge

Tuesday, 30 April 2013

No news is good news? And the power of love.

A delightful snippet from Bell's Weekly Messenger for 1814 reads-
"Yesterday produced no arrival from foreign parts. Rumours are current as usual, but without any circumstance of fact, or probability, to render them worthy of notice."

"Dearest, dearest of earthly beings...object of my devoutest devotions- the English language is too weak to express my love for you- sleeping or waking you alone engross my thoughts. I have been in love before- at least I fancied so; but I never felt the all conquering power till now."
From Sir Harry Mildmay's letters to Lady Roseberry, Bell's Weekly Messenger 1814

Oh to be the recipient of so romantic a declaration!


1 comment: